Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Friday, March 31, 2006

Already?

We are only a few days away from the end of the 3rd quarter. It has been a pretty stressful year. I do not like the fact that I have this time line to follow, although that is the main reason I chose this program. I don't like the pressure that it has created & therefore the stress. Our 'school' i snot as fun as it used to be. :(

Besides that, I love it. lol If only the school would allow us, w/ ease, to be on a 11-12 mos schedule, we'd be fine. If we do not finish up, we will be required to do 'summer school'. I have no problem w/ that, I look forward to it. It might hold up our supplies & books for next year though.

I did absolutley NO phonics w/ S for the 2nd quarter. It was too frustrating & I just KNEW he was not ready for it. I also know that is not the 'outside school' way. However, my rebellious spirit took over & I refused to do it. We did plenty of math & language arts but NO phonics.

At our 2nd quarter parent teacher conference, I was told we were being put on a 'contract'. I knew it was coming, I was fine w/ it. I had to sign & agree to do phonics every day w/ a minimum of 3 hours 'school' work a day as well. I knew S would be more 'ready' now.

Here we are today.........my son is READING! I am SO glad I did not waste a quarter being frustrated & pressuring him to do the 'work' to keep on task w/ the schedule. I am very proud of him & myself for being confident in myself as a mother/teacher.

I knew he would get it when his brain was ready. He was doing excellent in math but the phonics were like Chinese to him. I remembered how it was w/ my oldest son....a few months makes a huge developmental difference when your 5.5 yo! ya know? When my oldest started kindergarten, he was already 5 years & 9 mos old. DS was only 5 years 3 mos, starting kindergarten. That's a HUGE difference when you are 5!

I am so excited for him & for us today. I wanted to cry when he was reading, w/o help today. I could barely contain myself.

I know we will most likely NOT finish all the other subjects by May or June. I am not even worried about it. The biggest hurdle is OVER, reading is a huge accomplishment. The rest.....is just cake. :o)

1 comment:

The Zandi Zoo said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! Three cheers for S!!!!! Way to go!!