Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Introspective Exercise

I had my middles do a collage exercise.  I wasn't sure if they would understand the concept but again, guilty of underestimating them.  The idea is to create a collage in a designated, short amount of time, that represents you.  Or represents how you see yourself anyway.

It was so neat and surprising to see what they came up with.  They gave me a lot of insight into their hearts and minds.  It was interesting to really take a look at how they view themselves.  Some of their choices were surprisingly deep and others were predictably funny...and really honest.





 The 10 year old
5th Grade


The 8 year old
3rd grade

I was really blown away by their introspection.  They included their personality strengths as well as their weaknesses.  I can't believe how much credit we DON'T give the, as far as how much they understand and how well they know themselves.    

Supplies Needed
1 sheet of cardstock each 
magazines
glue sticks


Each child was given a sheet of card stock.  Instructions were: choose pictures (or words) from the magazines (tear out--no scissors needed) that represent themselves.  Glue  pictures onto the card stock sheet. Afterward they were given time to explain their finish product.


I only gave them about 10 or 15 minutes to tear out the pictures and glue them on....otherwise they become too distracted with the magazines. :-)

No comments: