Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Ca Science Center

I had an opportunity to do an extra credit paper for my own science class. One of the extra credit choices was to visit the science center and write a paper on it. Of course I took the middles with me (& the toddler). We have been there before but not for a long time. We had such a great time.



The center now has a two story aquarium. From the top floor, there is an outdoor viewing area and downstairs is a full length viewing area. You can even walk through a glass tunnel that goes through the aquarium, sharks and schools of fish swim above you. It's really impressive.



Birdy had so much fun in this wind tunnel. On her arms are simulated plane wings. You feel the air resistance according to how you direct your wings.


Both Sam and Birdy loved pretending to do a newscast. They didn't skip a beat when our toddler decided to join them. Birdy just ad-libbed and pretended like K was also an 'expert' on the show. It was hilarious.


 They all couldn't get enough of this hang gliding simulation. I thought laying on that thing looked pretty comfortable.


Here are all three of them, using a giant lever to lift a truck. It really works and accurately demonstrates the various support it offers at different points on the lever.

We had a really fabulous time, so much fun. I'd like to go back. The aquarium was our favorite part and we spent the most time in that area. There are also different rooms representing different eco-systems. One was a desert and features flash floods. Kurtis was a little scared of the mock lightening and thunder. I was creeped out by the room that was all about compost and decay. I couldn't tell if the floor was supposed to be the floor of  a forest or decomposers. EEwweee....!!!

I can't wait to go back. There is so much to see and do there, too much for one day, for sure. We went in the late afternoon for only a few hours. It must've been a great time because we nearly had the place to ourselves.

Days like this remind me WHY I love home-educating so much. The freedom to step away from the books and learn via hands on in a fun and relaxing setting.

Linked to:

2 comments:

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a FUN fieldtrip! I love hands on learning. And I know my kids remember things we do way better! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Happy New Year,
Beth =-)

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Thanks for your leaving me a comment about our roadtrip this year. I you have any tidbits about the Grand Canyon - best places to stay, favorite views, etc. I'd love to hear it!!! I've never been & am sooooo excited =-)
Beth