Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Friday, November 13, 2015

Fall Fun and Science


We took a quick walk around the block the other day, collecting leaves specifically to do a few leaf rubbings.
I forget how simply gorgeous leaf rubbings really are.

It's SoCal so...not too many varieties or fall-ish colors in my hood but we used what we could find and it was good enough. 


We attempted to do the rubbings using oil pastels, like I read on another blog but it did not work well. Back to good ol' crayola it was and that was great. The crayon rubbing really highlighted the veins of the leaves. 


After the rubbings, we took a closer look with our microscope. It's so fun to get such a magnified view. It's a school microscope but it's better then our natural eye. It still looks amazing and completely fascinating. 


To add to our Fall nature study, we did a classic craft: pine cone bird feeder.
I used the birdseed that I had left over from our summer sensory bin. We had actually tossed all the bird seed into the garden...but it was still in a nice pile.

We took a pine cone outside and poured (all natural!) peanut butter all over it. Then we rolled the pine cone in the bird seed pile, which was quite convenient actually!

I thought the perfect place to hang our bird feeder would be right outside our kitchen window. It's hard to reach from outside, so I hoisted Kurtis onto my shoulders and stretched on my tip toes until he could reach and hang it on the hook. Haha!


We also read this awesome book, Autumn Leaves. The pictures are great.

I love Autumn!

No comments: