Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Thursday, January 21, 2010

What now? (part 2)

The path will still be long for him.  Our charter school has barely started the 'process' for getting him 'officially' tested.  First they set up a meeting to determine IF he even needs to be tested.  I don't think I really care about that.  What I do care about is getting him the accommodations that he needs.  For example, having his STAR test read to him so that he can answer the questions accordingly.  He has the knowledge and is a bright boy but the break down occurs when his brain is trying to process it visually.

Our friend who is tutoring him, initially said she believed she could have him caught up within 2 years.  It sounds so far away but in reality--it would take him from about 1st or 2nd grade reading level (he is *in* 4th grade) up to 6th grade in 2 years.  That would be amazing.  From there, he can then progress above grade level.  I hope anyway.


That's quite a commitment from her, don't you think?


She has also been able to help me, help him.  I was stuck with a bunch of curriculum that I didn't know how to plug in to fill in his gaps.  I wasn't aware of the gaps to know exactly what would help him.  I knew what *wasn't* working but figuring out the alternatives was slow going.  She is able to fill that in for me and let me know what is working and what I can do to help.


For example, he does know his math facts.  She is working on getting him to have them memorized quicker using speed drills.  The math fact song CDs we have help tremendously with that. (AudioMemory.com)

He also needs to learn words in phrases to help him remember how to write.  Things I take for granted in my own life. Most of his reading is learned via the sight word method. Another tip is him learning cursive (italics specifically).  This helps him 'see' the letters as connected into the one word, instead of individual symbols of nonsense.


He's improved dramatically so much, it's simply unbelievable.  His self-confidence, academically, has improved too.  He's trying to read everything and he mostly can.  He still has a long way to go but I am confident he will get there. ;-)

No comments: