Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Week of School

Our charter officially begins school in August, a bit earlier than the local area schools. Monday was our first day.  I was a bit apprehensive, simply because I've never used a *boxed* curriculum before.  At the same time I was excited about the curriculum choices I had made for the middles.

The curriculum is from Oak Meadow.  I like how they combine subjects like history and Language Arts.  That is what I have always done. I am not using their math though and I am satisfied with that too. I am using Teaching Textbooks for math.  This is working out better than I expected. The 5th grade includes a computer program so that the work can be done on the computer.  It is exactly the same as the workbook but with fun graphics, not too much to be overwhelming though. The neat thing for us is that is reads all the problems to the student.  This is especially helpful for struggling readers.  No more time & brain energy wasted on just trying to comprehend the question!

Our first day was ok.  We begin our school time with the lighting of a candle.  Then we recite a poem.  From there we look at our calender and read our daily Bible verse. Then we close with a poetic verse that I have us say as a prayer and we then blow out our candle.  It is quite a lovely and reverent way to begin our day.  I think it is my most favorite part.

It really helps me to stay focused on being pleasant and aspire to a day of loveliness.  There are frustrations but every day is a learning opportunity, especially for me. ;-)  I am determined to have a live of loveliness, in all areas.

No comments: