Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Friday, March 04, 2011

Japanese Gardens


We haven't gone on a field trip for way too long. Today turned out to be an excellent day to go, the weather was very cooperative. Warm, actually, after so long of being chilly. I wanted the ktbunch to see where I go to school, as well as how FAR I have to walk from my car to class, every day. LOL

The University has a lovely Japanese Garden we haven't been to in years plus an art gallery I thought they would also enjoy. S & Birdy especially LOVED feeding the Koi fish. The garden itself is rather small and K was over due for a nap, which makes for an over-active and under-obedient toddler.  Needless to say we didn't stay very long. I think we can take another trip if we arrive earlier, when K is more calm and willing to walk around instead of wanting to *run*, *jump* and *climb* on everything.

We could not take any pictures in the art gallery.  We could not even carry in our back packs. There were a few students there that seemed to run the place.  They were friendly and pleasant.They even kindly warned us of some "adult content".  I appreciated their thoughtfulness toward my children. However, they literally followed us around the place and that made me feel very anxious and nervous.  It is a small gallery so it wasn't subtle.  

At one point, I had S & Bird stand close to a piece of art work to compare how they viewed it, to standing farther away.  before I could have them step back, one of the students told me/them, we needed to be at least 18in away from the art pieces. Ok. You could not even read the plates describing the work from that far back! I tried very hard not to feel perturbed by that.

I wanted to have a picnic on campus and show them more of the fountains but they were extra-hungry.  Besides, once they heard it was free FRY day at Chick-fil-a...they had a one track mind. Over all, it was a well needed and nice change of pace.

I think we all left feeling inspired.

No comments: