Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Welcome to year 16.

Of home-educating, that is. That is quite a career span if you ask me, not that you were. I apologize for not writing..we experienced a pretty unexpected and crazy turn of events, in our family, less than a month after my last post here.

My husband and I separated and we still are. This is a major, disappointing, life altering, scary, crisis inducing event to happen, to put it mildly. Especially in a home with four kids, three of whom are still under age and a mother who has primarily been a stay-at-home-mom, not much of an income earner.

God is still good. We are still home-educating and have been doing well. I have put in 15 years as an home-educator, if I got paid actual money for this, I think I'd have earned some tenure by now or something, right? These days, a 15 + year career span is still worth something, isn't it?

This year Birdy is in 6th grade and Sammy is in 8th. Two middle-schoolers. Kurtis is preschool. We continue to be relaxed over all. I finally found a curricula I love, a few years ago and have stuck with it. I'll tell you about it later. I supposed I should be teaching Kurtis to read this year. I suppose.

He loves and I continue to encourage him, to play with his abacus. We're about one month into this 16th school year now. It's going well so far. Sammy finished a novel already; The Giver. Which is HUGE for him. And he read one of the Hunger Games this summer too. Birdy is still attracted to the easier books and feels proud to breeze through them in a day. She was intrigued over hearing her brother talk about The Giver and started it herself.

Their first art class of the year was Monday and we had to miss because my car battery unexpectedly died. Sammy has started football season. The verdict is still out if they will take guitar lessons again this year. I signed them up for history classes at Knott's Berry Farm. Sounds totally fun to me. They aren't sure, so I only registered for one, as a trial. I hope they like it.

Last year ended strong and peacefully, despite the challenges we were faced with. I expect this year to go even better. So far, so good.

No comments: