Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Music Lessons!

My daughter started with violin for 2 years and later switched to guitar for the past few years. The littlest one watned and begged to play guitar for a few years.

I told him when he started school, he could take lessons. The music studio then informed me that they prefer 5yo wait until they are older because they don't believe they can handle the conditioning on the fingers.

We waited until this year and K then decided he was no longer interested (turns out he was simply afraid he'd be alone, with out his family there).

Guitar lessons started but the studio repeated the same thing they told me last year, but now about 6yo. Sigh.

I am hoping they will continue to teach him. The instructor suggested piano but we don't have a piano to do regular practice on.

The guitar Birdy uses is actually mine and the one K is using in this picture was for Sammy when he was that age. Sammy also took a semester of guitar and voice. Like his little brother, he begged to take guitar lessons and the guitar was bought for one of his birthdays. He ended up preferring voice over guitar. Now he sings in the choir regularly.


I think playing a musical instrument is very important for children. I prefer guitar because it's so mobile, personally. You can take it with you anywhere. I especially love music education and hands on arts because it transcends academic abilities. You can have a very poor reader who understands and can read musical notes. I believe this is a great confidence builder. I am sure there are lots of research articles out there as well that support the use of music education in brain development.

I am hoping, personally, I will also pick my guitar back up and finally learn to play it adequately. All of my children have artistic talents. They've taken art lessons forever. My oldest is an art instructor and he started at the art studio as a home-school student as well.

We also participate in the local community theater, behind and on stage...auditions are next week actually. All that to say...we are obviously, huge fans and supporters of the arts.

Is Fine Art a priority in your home-school? How do you incorporate fine art education in your school day?

No comments: