Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Resistant Reader?

This lasted 10 seconds

Dancing and rapping...no more still shots. Reality.
This first picture is SO unrealistic! Lately my first grader's MO is to pretend like he can't read.

It takes divine creativity to get cooperation lately. He hemmed and hawed longer than the amount of time it would have taken him to simply read.the.freaking.darn.three.sentences of his reader! Seriously.

I playfully suggested he read it in an English accent AND stand up (hoping to get the wiggles out). His whining turned into laughing at the mere ridiculousness of my situation. It worked though.

After a few funny seconds, his English accent turned into a rap and his standing turned into a strange 6yo inspired wanna-be hip-hop dance routine.

I don't believe school work and learning should always be fun, but I don't believe it can't be either. No point in arguing and getting upset about a child's reluctance either. I'd rather switch gears, get creative and have productive results.





The reader was finished quicker than the time he spent trying to avoid it. He's a smart boy with opinions...on what he thinks he should and should not have to do.

I am getting skilled at working around his objections. It's a win-win situation.


No comments: