Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Monday, October 12, 2015

Autumn Inspiration

Isn't this adorable?

{*I was inspired by the online resources listed at the end of this post.}
I know my 1st grader definitely learns better with hands on activities, even though getting him to sit down for them is a moment by moment challenge.

We watched a simple but informative video about owls. It goes great with a few printable works sheets and graphic organizers I found and used from our fair field trip. We saw an owl there and had a great conversation with her handler.

Collecting objects like an Easter egg hunt! 

We started with a very short walk around the block to gather organic ephemera. We only collected what we found on the ground. We are experiencing another heat wave so being outside for only a few minutes was enough. We live in a nice suburban neighborhood where each block has a different set of trees planted. We headed straight for the pine tree block.

We collected pine cones, bark and from our lawn, acorns and acorn caps. We used those pieces to create our owl. Using hot glue, we attached the bits and pieces to a piece of bark to form an owl. Oh and a scrap of ribbon to hang it. 


What I love most is the unplanned excitement of learning new information. Each of my children, during their home educated childhood, has discovered the wonder of how these pine tree seeds fly. The seeds have light tails that cause them to twirl and spiral down through the air. This moment was no different. Kurtis squealed with glee and a smile that couldn't get any bigger. He couldn't wait to share his new found knowledge with his older brother. 

This keeps me going. You start out with some pine cones and an owl agenda...but learning is full of twists and turns, just like the flying seed. Our conversation moved along to the science of how seeds travel.
Owls to seeds. Nope, didn't see that coming. 





I am so grateful for free online resources. I have no problem NOT reinventing the wheel! I was first inspired by this owl unit study which led me to this simple craft. I definitely now subscribe to these educational videos too. 

No comments: