Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Friday, November 06, 2015

Learning Disability, testing, IEP results


His first round of testing: cognitive.

I finally decided to have my middle son, Sam tested for a learning disability. It was brought to my attention years ago, when a sweet friend of mine, who had previously worked as a special ed teacher, told me she suspected he had dyslexia. 

From that point on, she voluntarily began to tutor him intensely. He could barely read when she started. She helped him learn to read effectively, build up his learning endurance and learn how to concentrate despite environmental distractions.

Every year, I would have the same debate with myself, should I get him officially tested? Every year I would conclude, no. Though, I was always left unsure of what the testing results would really do for him. How would it benefit him?

After his immense struggle last year for ninth grade, barely passing his classes, I could see that we needed more help or at least some answers. By this point, my friend had been tutoring him for about 5 years now. His standardized test results have pretty much always been below average.

I didn't know how or if having him tested would help. My friend also pointed out he may not qualify for any services because he may not test low enough anymore. She's such a great tutor and she was completely correct on that aspect: academically he tested average on most aspects. That is absolutely amazing for him!

However, the cognitive testing did, in fact, conclude that he does have a learning disability, a processing disorder and therefore qualifies for services. Hearing the conclusions alone was so validating in and of itself. The services he will now receive are basically an hour of tutoring a week, not on homework or assignments but on specific skills that he lacks, his areas of weakness.

The academic tester was SO encouraging too. She shared a lot of helpful information about services and resources he can use when he goes to college. That will also be part his support, is to prepare him for college, help him set goals etc.

I am so excited. The testing also explained why he reacts the way he does sometimes. He is not only affected academically but emotionally and socially. If a person has trouble processing and communicating their thoughts, well of course it's going to over flow into normal every day life, interactions, discussions and disagreements.

I regret waiting so long to have this done. I am so happy now thought for what this extra support can mean for him. He now has an official 'IEP' that outlines the goals set for him and services provided to help meet those goals.

I had no idea what to expect. I am more than happy so far. The future looks bright. This alleviates some of my worry, as most moms have anyway, for him. It's hard to watch your child struggle and not know exactly how to help them or understand what they are thinking when they make choices or responses that don't make sense.

Now, I can understand him better over all. 


Second round of testing: academic.

No comments: