Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Welcome to Year 19!

I wrote a similar post last year...declaring it year 17 and I was totally wrong. Don't hold it against me that I did basic math wrong.

Samuel is now in 11th grade, Bird in 9th and Kurtis bringing up the rear (kicking and screaming, literally) in second grade this year. It's been a wild ride but over all, I am happy with how I have endured and what we have accomplished. Especially when I really had to start flying solo. I have continued on this path of home-educating because I really believe it is the best form of education over all and the best way for my children and our family. It has cost us, as all good things do.

It's interesting to watch the middles interests develop and their skill grow. Both are continuing to take art as an elective. Samuel is pursuing dance more seriously. Liberty, starting highschool, is taking a-g courses, which is a college preparatory path to graduation. She says she is going to take a break from the theater program, at least on-stage but I sincerely hope she changes her mind. In the end, it will always be her choice.

Kurtis, sigh, is still Kurtis. Haha. He's enjoying every aspect of life to the fullest. It's always been a challenge to get him to sit down, but that is ok. I am not above bribery and other methods of encouraging him to cooperate. He is very bright and picks up concepts quickly so after hours of fighting with him to do a page of book work--he can finish it in three minutes flat. True story!

We had a terrific summer. Really full with lots of outdoor time. I plan to continue our weekly hikes. Middles will have their evening classes and their Tuesday writing class...so far that is it. Which is more than enough and enough to keep this momma hopping and dependent on my phone calendar!

It's the beginning of a brand new year and we usually start strong. I hope we can maintain momentum, not too fast and not too slow. A girl can dream! I don't have any great vision or expectation for this school year yet. I don't even know if I should and if this is a bad thing or not.

No comments: