Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Seeds, Sprouts and Second Grade Science


Our first "science experiment" of the year! Simple seeds and sprouts. Second grade science is very similar to first grade science. The first chapter of his science workbook include information about plants and the life cycle of a seed, parts of the male and female plants etc. There was an experiment, that he skipped many lessons to get right to.

Navy bean sprout with long, strong roots, ready to plant.
Kurtis wanted to follow the experiment exactly, which instructed placing the seeds with a damp towel on a tray. I knew they would dry out, (regardless of how many times I refilled it with water!) and suggested placing the seeds in a plastic ziploc bag instead. He did not believe me, of course! In the name of science, we did both, to prove which method was best. We used what we had on hand...sunflower and chia seeds, and white navy beans.

Look at those roots!
The seeds in the bag did splendid. After only a few days there were sprouts and roots. One seed on the tray sprouted but the paper towel dried out daily. It wasn't long before the seeds in the plastic baggie, were ready to plant.

This sprout stands tall!


This is a picture of our first sprouts.
Today he took the white navy bean sprouts, which had the longest roots and planted them into his pirate garden. I hope they continue to grow well. After this, (and after digging through everything to find his 'nature journal' that had mysteriously gone missing) he drew sketches of the sprouts and roots, then sat in the back yard for some observation time of the garden, sketching his observations into his journal...which included an explosive bomb? I don't know, guys...seven year olds! I just don't know. He promptly erased it when I  reminded him that I didn't believe he witnessed a bomb in the back yard. 

I think science used to be a challenge for me? I can't really remember but it's certainly not now. I love it and everything about it. It's so exciting and I love over-lapping into other subject areas, covering the full spectrum of S.T.E.A.M! 

Into the garden they go!

No comments: