Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Monday, September 26, 2005

Day 18

I have not been keeping up day to day. It became too much. Things were sketchy @ the beginning but we finally were able to get our groove.

I realized I was fighting to do things contrary to the way we'd always done things before. Plus the fact of having 2 educations to be responsible for took some getting used too. I decided to stop fighting our natural tendency & continue to do things the way that worked for US.

The way it works for us is to sleep in. We do think better in the mornings but we get going slow. Daddy works late so we stay up late. That is our routine. We continue to have our park days & play dates. We cannot function w/o them. We do 'school' work on the weekends while dad is @ work. It was not working, trying to accomplish our full amount of work on dad's days off. His days off are spent hanging out (usually @ grandparent's house) not doing 'work'.

So we re-adjsuted back to the way we have always done things & compromised a bit, light work on dad's days off & fill in on the weekends. That is one of the main reasons we love homeschooling, to work around our family's schedule, which revolves around dad's work schedule.

So now that we've got the 'logistics' worked out...things are running much smoother. :o)

Kindergartner, continues to assess through the Math lessons. Slow going on the phonics but I went ahead and introduced the actual letter, not just the sounds as the program does it. It gives him a visual & encourages him that he is indeed 'reading'!

I was reminded how & what 'homeschooling' really looks like. I was so into doing things just as the curriculum had it planned that I was over-looking the essentials: focusing on MY child's needs & comprehension, HIS learning style. So I, once again, adjusted. It's been a lot less frustrating. I also read on our school message board that many parents were having the same problems w/ their Kindergartners. Isn't that interesting?

I feel a lot more confident in what we are doing now. :o)

No comments: