Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Friday, October 16, 2009

Tutor Trial

I agreed to try tutoring for S. I don't know why it's such a big deal (aka: hassle) to just get him tested already. Whatever. Today was our first run. I wondered if a tutor was really going to do anything different than what I could offer, as a mom, on a daily basis. Would he/she have any special skills or secret tools?

She was a young girl, college age? She had no special or secret skills. She was not a tutor or reading super hero. She said she simply does what the parent or teacher tells her to do w/ the child. So *I* tell you how to tutor my child? {sigh} The ES told me (too late) to let the company know this was an *intervention* not a supplement. Yah duh! I don't know why the ES did not indicate that on the Purchase Order. That's ok.

I made the call & 'Douglas' understood what we needed. We will see what he comes up with.

On a funny note, while we were at the library for the tutoring appointment, I guess the state of California was having a statewide earthquake drill. A librarian went around handing out instructions for the optional drill, in case we were interested in participating. Sure! why not?

It was funny to note that I had the power to make the tutor get under the desk w/ my child simply because I wanted her too. I'm not mean, I did it too! lol I don't think anyone else besides the library employees did though.

As we were leaving I realized another educational gap I missed...S told me: I didn't even feel anything.  He had no concept of what a *drill* was. :-) He thought *someone* knew  the earthquake was coming and that was why they needed to get under the desks. It was cute.

No comments: