Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spring Fever has hit!

Spring break came & went and now I can hardly wait until summer.  I am excited about next year though.  I used the rest of our funds to order curriculum from www.Oakmeadows.com for next year.  It's based off the Waldorf style/method/philosophy of education.  

I will also be signing S & L up for once a week day classes with this program: www.earthrootsfieldschool.com.  It looks wonderful. It seems to take place outdoors primarily if not all the time.

They are really enjoying their hip-hop dance classes.  It is certainly enjoyable to watch them.

S has improved so much in his reading.  Last month they took their 'Scantron' test that the school uses to measure 'progress'.  It's lame I know but it's one of the trade offs I have to put up with for using this school.  S did extremely well on it.  He did not measure up to grade level yet but he made HUGE jumps and scored just barely under grade level. 

Weirdly enough, E, who usually scores way above average, showed minimal growth in scores but was still above average.  Not sure what to think about that.

STAR testing is next month and I am so dreading it.  It's so lame, really. If they were really interested in what children 'know' why do they make it multiple choice?  There is no other reason except to trick them.  It's just plain stupidity.  I hope some day soon I can switch back to private home educating to avoid all these hoops we have to jump through.  I do enjoy the perks of being able to expose my children to opportunities that I can not currently afford, like private music lessons, dance and art classes.

It's all a trade off....

No comments: