Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A *Real* day of home educating!

It's been super windy lately....UNTIL today when I decided to take the kids out to the park to fly kites.


Figured I'd have them bring their nature journals too.....we'd fly kites, discuss wind, flying, birds...whatever comes to mind as well as write down our observations of the stream/ponds @ the park in our nature journals.


So suddenly there is no wind today---just slight breezes.

ok kids--lets sit down by the water...we're going to learn about poetry....Haiku is easy, I'll explain it & read you one etc then you will write one. Immediately after I give my cheerful diatribe I say ok so let's write our OWN poems & Birdy says: What's a poem! ARG!!!

Oh & I have them pack snacks & make sandwiches. I am really looking fwd to my PB & honey sandwich. I open it & I immediately notice I have a HEEL part of the bread....we've got PLENTY of bread---no reason for ME to be given the heel---not to mention that I have said before I DON'T LIKE THEM!.. I ask Birdy WHY she did that--but I know the answer so I ask her: did YOU want the heel? Of course not right? So I begin a mini-lesson on how we are supposed to treat others kind--love your neighbor as yourself 'stuff'.....because she chose to purposely give it to me cause she did not want it.

Ok, whatever...I'll eat it---EXCEPT there's barely a smidgen...a smattering-- of PB on it---wwwwhhhhaaaaaa? Oh, she said we were out of PB....We've got like 4 JARS of it!!!! arg!!!! It was like 2 pieces of bread period.


Whatever--we go by the water to work on our poems...suddenly Birdy is brain dead or something. Sam whips out a haiku w/ only a bit of prompting from me & spelling help. Birdy gets her first line down but it's like she's not even thinking....I am SO frustrated I finally walk away w/ baby K to look @ the ducks....when I return, Birdy is done!!!


In half the time it took her to write the 1st line--she has written the next 2....Guess I just needed to LEAVE her ALONE!?!?!?!?


Somedays....I have NO idea what to do w/ these kids.


It's like I'm speaking & trying to teach them Chinese or something. Seriously.


How in the heck did Charlotte Mason EVER get children to sit by her in nature.....All they wanted to do was run around chasing ducks & look @ the water......


kids. gotta love em'... ;-)

No comments: