Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Two Month Check-In

...and I don't truly feel settled yet. This past week I took some time to reorganize and go through my inventory of 'school supplies'. It was SO helpful. It's never too late to reevaluate what is working, what is not and if something needs tweaking.

I never used to purchase curricula. I used the library mainly, followed the seasons, holidays and my heart. When we joined our charter school, I began to explore curricula options a little more. After growing a collection of odds and ends....I found a curricula I absolutely adore! I'll tell you more about it later. I still love supplementing though and that is what I've been doing lately to get us back on track.

Birdy seems to really need a timer--we've discovered. And to memorize her multiplication tables better. I found a pack of fill-in multiplication charts at Dollar Tree. She's been doing them every day for speed/time. After only a few tries, she's improved her time by minutes!

She is also working on her cursive. After cleaning out her cubby, I found some unfinished Thanksgiving cursive practice pages. Perfect timing and theme! I also went through my home school supply cabinet and found a set of comprehension workbooks I ordered last year for Sam, to help with his reading. This was one of those purchases I made initially through the charter school. I ordered the complete set. Each grade level has three work books of reading. The set included a perfect level for Birdy and for where Sam is at now. I pulled them out and they have been using them. This is good testing practice too because it includes a short story and questions pertaining to the reading. It matches the format of the standards testing they do every year.

Birdy tends to be very flighty (no pun intended) with her school work. I think having a timer, set in 20 minute increments, will improve that situation. Also, when I come home from school, I work on my own things with her *right next to me*, working on anything she hasn't finished yet. Being in close quarters where I can stay right on top of her, really helps her focus and move along. 

Even though I have one graduated, I don't have all the answers. Each child is different and so are their needs and their learning style. Therefore, it's still an ongoing learning process for me, in knowing what will work.

Stage of development is important too. We often think developmental stages are only for babies and toddlers--not so. It's for every life stage and age. Everyone's home educating experience will not look alike and what works for one family may not work for another. That is the beauty of this academic adventure!

No comments: