Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.
Deut. 32:2

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Monster Inspiration

Last week during Sam's cognitive testing, I took advantage of our time at the library to work with Kurtis uninterrupted or distracted by home life.

His initial assignment was to choose two monsters from a few coloring pages I had printed, color them and then write a story about his characters. With creative writing assignments I do not focus on spelling and offer very little help. The point is for him to create the sentences himself and write them down.


I had him cut the monsters out, while I cut the writing paper and glue them into his spiral note book. The notebooks are my latest attempt at staying organized. I print a lot of worksheets and various other items used in my teaching, off the internet. This creates a lot of loose leaf paper that can easily become misplaced.

Now, my new plan, is to either do the work activities and projects directly on the pages or to paste the worksheets on the pages themselves. When we go to our next LR meeting, all he has to bring is his notebook for each subject and we can choose a page from it directly and turn it in as a work sample.

I think this will also make a great portfolio/journal/record of his year. That is what I am imagining and hoping anyway. Haha. Loose leaf papers and even work books seem to disappear or get misplaced often. Yes, we have used three-ring binders but the challenge for my students is actually putting the work IN TO the binder. I thought it was simple but I guess not. haha.

This seems to be a potentially easy plan to keep and follow through on...at least for me. 


No comments: